Getting your license

Mike Hopkins Motorcycles: Getting your license

Riding a motorcycle is one of the most exhilarating feelings. The speed of the bike, the wind on your hair and the roar of the engine! They are truly one of the best machines made and with the different designs and performances. No wonder they are getting more popular but like any other motorized vehicle though, you still need a license to drive a motorbike.

To get a license, you will need to pass a theory test then attend basic and advanced rider safe training courses. Once you’ve finished the basic course, you can apply for the learner’s permit and get your official license after you finish the advanced course. Take a look at the steps on how to get your license.

Attend a basic training course

The basic training course teaches you the basic and advanced skills necessary for riding a motorcycle. It also teaches you safety measures and practices while on the road. Take note that you will need to have a learner’s permit already before you take the course. If you haven’t yet or this is your first time getting a license, you must first pass a theory test.

To enrol, you just need to pay for the basic course at any Service SA customer service centre. Once payment has been made, you will get a call to schedule your training. Once you’ve passed it, you’ll need to present your approval certificate to obtain your permit within 12 months. Take note that it’s valid for two years and must be carried at all times.

Attend the advanced training course

It’s best to have your learner’s permit for six months before you undertake the advanced training course. This way, you’ll have experience riding a motorcycle which will be enough for you to undertake the course. The same enrolment process as the basic course is used on the advanced course. 

For the advanced training, you can use your own motorbike provided that it is registered, roadworthy and is not modified. It must also be on the list of learner’s approved motorcycles. If you don’t have your own yet, a motorbike or scooter will be provided. Additionally, you’ll need to bring the following:

  • A fit for purpose and compliant helmet
  • Current photo for ID
  • Your current learner’s permit
  • Course payment receipt

Apply for your license

Once you’ve finished the course, you can present your certificate competency for an R-Date license. If you already have a license, the R-Date motorcycle class will be added to it. 

If you don’t have a license yet but already have your learner’s permit for 12 months and are 17 years old and above, you can apply for a provisional one. Take note that it will have restrictions that will allow you to use learner approved motorcycles only.

Once you’ve been riding with the R-Date license for 12 months, you can start riding a motorcycle of any power and weight ratio. No need to have the class upgraded to an R Class license after the date of your R-Date class has lapsed. If you want to have it upgraded though, you will need to pay a fee for the replacement license.