WHEN THE TYRES FIRST HIT THE ROAD
In 1972 Mike Hopkins bought his first motorcycle at the age of 21. He was racing at National level by 1974 and won the 1976 South African 500cc Motocross title. He continued to compete winning no less than seven Western Province Motocross Championships and five Regional Enduro Championships until forced into retirement by a back injury in 1987.
Somewhat of a legend in the motorcycling industry, Mike continues to live out his passion through Mike Hopkins Motorcycles, established in 1978 at 133 Bree Street, Cape Town. It is the oldest motorcycle shop in the Western Cape and its iconic reputation stands testament to Mike’s perservering commitment to providing an overall motorcycling experience to customers.Mike Hopkins1978Mike Hopkins1977
The rich history of Mike Hopkins Motorcycles includes:
- 1978: Husqvarna, KTM, Montessa, SWM and Maico agent
- 1985: Became a Kawasaki agent
- 1989: Became the first in South Africa to specialise in mountain bicycles
- 1990: Sold the bicycle portion of the business
- 2000: Became the Triumph agent for Cape Town
- 2009: More focus placed on retail business
- 2010: Opened a new showroom, 79 Roeland Street to sell the “Triumph experience”
- National distributor for the premium Fox motorcycle and leisure clothing range for 20 years
Mike Hopkins Motorcycles’ dedication to supplying and servicing motorcycles has remained a constant hallmark of quality. Today it is an agent for Triumph, Kawasaki, and Sym Scooters, and offers servicing and repairs, tyre fitment, clothing, helmets, and accessories in a relaxed and friendly environment. The long serving and loyal staff have extensive combined experience and are truly committed to service excellence.